This week in our Haven program, we decided to extend our discussion of limiting beliefs for another week. We’re learning that this is probably one of the main factors that is preventing people from attaining their healthy weight.
- Yes, we’re overweight because we have not exercised as we wanted to.
- Yes, it’s because we ate a lot of foods that we did not want to.
Why didn’t we do them and why didn’t we go to our God whom we know and believe is our source for everything? We knew that if we went to God, he will give us the strength to overcome our lack of motivation, our lack of will-power, our laziness, our raging hormones, our sore knees — we know and believe that He is able. As hard as it is for us to admit, we know that if we go to God then we would not indulge in that piece of cheesecake we really wanted or we would actually lace up our running shoes and go for a walk. Truth is; WE DON”T WANT TO. We want to do what we want to do, when we want to do it. We want to be healthy but we don’t want to sacrifice, we don’t to make any dramatic changes and we definitely don’t want to move out of our comfort zone. We want to have our cake and eat it too (couldn’t resist).
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.~ Proverbs 3: 5-6
Everyday we have to get up and make a choice of whose going to be in control of our life – us or God? As we can all attest, it’s not an easy choice. Logically we know it ‘should’ be God but emotionally we often don’t ‘feel’ like it. There is a battle that we must wage everyday for our minds and our lives. Understand that it is a real war (Ephesians 6:12-13) that we can only win when we understand how to fight and it’s not by trying to do it on our own.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12
What you might notice is when you give control to God, the enemy (often our own mind) will either respond in one of two ways…
1. Rebel and go completely out of control (eating everything in sight)
2. Try to control things even more by creating a set of rules that you could never possibly commit to
So just how do you win the battle?
1. Take baby steps (Exodus 23:30) – We fight change tooth and nail. So instead of making it a big ordeal and production, just commit to taking very small steps. Start with 1 sit up or 1 push up, nothing more. Just commit to doing that each day until it becomes a habit. You’ll find that you probably end up doing more and that is great but you now strengthened your discipline muscles but committing to that one small thing.
2. Be honest with God and admit your powerlessness (Psalm 139) – we don’t go to God because we’re afraid of change. A friend of mine always used to say, ‘sin is sweet’. If you’re honest with yourself, it can be a challenge to not give in to the pleasures of this world – music, video games, alcohol, relationships, TV, food can all lead you down a slippery slope if you’re not vigilant. But God already knows all this. So instead of avoiding Him, try sharing your heart with Him, “God you know that I’m struggling and I really want to have these french fries right now but I know it will hurt me in the long run, take away my appetite for these unhealthy things I crave.” Better yet, start your morning in prayer and pray that you will not be tempted ( …And lead us not into temptation~ Matt 6:13) If you’re anything like me, I know you’re tired of both trying to control everything yet feeling so out of control. It’s time to give it to God and let him truly be Lord over your life.
Pray this prayer today…
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next. Amen.
Our next 21 Day Challenge starts this Saturday September 7, if you’ve suffered long enough and are ready to move towards a healthier lifestyle then join us to learn how to lose weight and get healthier God’s way.
Already taken the challenge? Then go deeper and start to release the excess weight with our Haven program. It’s an intimate, small group fellowship where I hold your hand and guide you step-by-step through the process of releasing weight.
Want to understand the role of prayer in your health and weight loss journey? Register for this eye-opening webinar with Christian Life Coach Kathy Butryn- Register here.
Until Next Week,