Do you have any idea how powerful words are?
Words are so powerful that Psalm 33:6 states that, “the Lord merely spoke, and the heavens were created.” If we are created in God’s image, then is it possible that God has also given us this same power to create change with our words?
Scripture says that we have also been given the power to speak to our situations and circumstances. “… you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there, and it would move'” (Matt. 17:20). How different would your life be if you began to speak powerfully to your situation in a proactive way that would cause it to change?
Proverbs 18:21 also teaches us that death and life are in the power of the tongue. This verse holds true whether we’re speaking of spiritual, physical, or emotional ‘life and death.’
Now take a moment and examine how you speak. When it comes to your health and your weight, do you speak negatively or positively?
You will NEVER reach your weight loss (or any other) goals if you’re constantly saying words like:
“I know, but”
“I want to”
“I need to”
“I don’t know”
These words all speak of something in the future that will probably never happen and they only keep you frustrated and procrastinating.
YOUR WORDS precedes action and these words indicate inaction and failure.
YOUR WORDS gives the world a preview of what your true intentions or beliefs are about your ability to succeed.
Our words are so ingrained that we’re often not even conscious of what we’re saying.
Our words come out of our mouths on automatic pilot and are subconsciously sabotaging our health and our lives.
Instead of speaking negatively about your body or your health, make verbal declarations about your health. I often share my personal declarations with my clients. Here is mine. I encourage you to create your own:
- I am in excellent health.
- I am in action every day to promote my health and the health of others.
- I create my health through my daily positive habits.
- I believe my health is important and I strive to be in the best health.
- I attract healthy people, healthy attitudes, healthy food, healthy activities, and healthy habits into my life.
- My ability to be in better health increases day by day.
- I make time in my schedule every day for physical activity.
- I receive God’s gift of excellent health. It allows me to serve in His Kingdom, to help more people, to enjoy a better quality of life, and to be free to worship.
- I weigh what God wants me to weigh and I eat according to what God wants me to eat.
- I get plenty of rest each night.
- I have boundless energy.
As you go about your day, pay attention to how you speak to yourself. Are your words affirming or condemning? If they don’t build you up, change them! Think of something you can say to yourself to reframe your negative comment. If you’re complaining about the size of your hips, instead, thank God for the ability to move every day!
If you need support in reframing your words and your mindsets, consider enrolling in our 21-Day Challenge Devotional and Bible Study. Learn more here. It will help you to shift your focus so you will stop spinning your wheels and start to lose weight, God’s Way!